On Tuesday the 17th of June we hosted a memorable pop up in honour of the Brazil v Mexico World Cup game. As well as turning our internal dining room into a seating area for avid football fans to watch the game, we created a fusion menu of both Brazilian and Mexican food as shown below. We also partnered up with FAIR who created some amazing gluten free cocktails.
Our incredibly creative Brazilian Head Chef Marcelo was able to showcase his knowledge of authentic Brazilian food as well as create some truly mouth watering Mexican dishes. Of course all of these dishes came with the benefit of being completely gluten free!
By sourcing excellent gluten free flours and ingredients like cassava flour, polenta and tapioca flour we were able to create dishes such as cheese breads and tortillas completely gluten free! One of our most popular dishes on the night was the fried cassava and polenta. Marcelo has kindly passed on his recipe for fried polenta. It is hassle free and easy to put together, it can also be prepared the night before. This recipe is extremely versatile and you are able to alter the flavour according to your taste, for example you can use a stock and spices of your choice.
1 kg bag of pre cooked polenta
2 litres of water (vegetable stock if you want to add flavour)
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 red chilli, chopped
1 tbsp paprika and other spices if required
Deep fryer or a deep pan with vegetable oil
Prepare a deep baking tray and grease with oil
- Heat a tbsp of oil in a deep saucepan and gently fry the onions until softened, add the garlic and chilli until golden
- Add 2 litres of water/stock to the pan, allow it to come to the boil and add the polenta
- Keep stirring for up to 5 minutes until it forms a thick paste and comes together
- Pour into the greased tray, allow to cool then place in the fridge (overnight if you have time) lightly covered with cling film
- When set, cut into shapes
- Heat your deep fat fryer to 170 degrees and fry the pieces until golden
Serve with a hummus dip or a flavoured mayonnaise. Here we served the dish with Vozar’s special mayo!
Like us on Facebook – Vozars or follow us on twitter @At_Vozars for more upcoming gluten free pop up events and recipes!